The battery is probably dead in your carbon monoxide detector. This will probably end up killing you someday, but you may have a chance to live, if you’re a cat owner.
Annette and Kevin Shanahan of Reedsburg, Wisconsin, would have died if their brown tabby, Gracie, hadn’t been around. The Huffington Post reports that, on the night of Feb. 4, Annette wasn’t feeling right.
Annette Shanahan of Reedsburg, Wisconsin, told Madison.com this week that around 1 a.m. on Feb. 4, she felt weak, ill and disoriented and wandered out of bed, collapsing into a chair in the bedroom.
Her husband, Kevin, said he would have slept through it if it weren’t for the family cat, Gracie.
Gracie, perhaps noticing that one of his humans was seriously fucked up, sprang into action.
“All of the sudden Gracie, I heard she was pounding, knocking, knocking, knocking at the door,” he told local news channel WREG. “And so I got out of bed and to stop her from pounding at the door, and I looked to my left and Annette was there in the chair.”
Gracie doesn’t usually try to get into Annette and Kevin’s bedroom so he knew something was wrong. Kevin found his wife, and called 911. The firefighters later discovered that a malfunctioning water heater had released dangerous levels of carbon monoxide into their house. Yikes!
My disdain for cats is well-known (I think it’s even on my resume), but Gracie gets a pass. Sure, she was probably trying to save her own ass by escaping the house through a window in the bedroom, since cats are inherently selfish. But still – she inadvertently saved her humans.
Meet Gracie in the video below.
Pic: Huffington Post